Monday, March 7, 2016

Healthy Beauty

Over the last few years, my skin-care and make-up routine has changed dramatically.  I used to love Bath & Body Works as a teenager and pretty much anything with a pretty, girly bottle and great smell.  However, two things radically changed my beauty routine:
1. I'm allergic to propylene glycol, have SUPER sensitive skin, and break out in hives with certain dyes.  
2.  I did residency.  Make-up was a time-luxury.  It's been pretty basic there for a couple of years.

Although my skin-care and make-up routines have been a little trial and error recently, I have found some products that I am loving and seem to work.  I want products that work, and having an adorable package is a super bonus.  I am not completely "all natural", but I've thrown out a lot of my old cosmetics that have all the parabens propylene glycol, and phthalates in them.  My skin has been much happier since I've cut down on the synthetics (I used to stay awake at night itching from the laundry detergent and body wash I was using and didn't even know it!).

Although I'm definitely no expert on natural products, here are a few 100% natural or 95%+ natural  (or formulated without propylene glycol, parabens, phthalates) products that I have found and love.

 ~Coconut Oil- I use this on my legs after shaving and also as a hand and elbow moisturizer.  I only apply it before bed as it is greasy, but it smells lovely and can be found in the grocery store!
~J.R. Watkins Lemon Cream Hand & Body Lotion- This is the best, 99% natural, amazing smelling lotion I've ever used.  It smells just like lemon cream without being over the top, and it works amazingly!  Definitely a favorite.  I also love Watkins grapefruit hand soap for my kitchen.
~The Healthy Deodorant in Vanilla Lavender- This was a big find for me.  I would get the WORST dermatitis from regular deodorant before I found this.  I went through several other products which either smelled weird, didn't work, or had a weird consistency before I found this.  It works, smells great, is 100% natural, and goes on like regular deodorant. 
~Rosehip & Hibiscus Eye Cream- After the trials and late hours of residency, I felt like it was time for a quality eye cream.  But I would always get really itchy eyes or irritation with other products.  This works great and doesn't cause irritation.  I've been using it for about a month and I've seen a difference.  The ratings on it are excellent!
~Arbonne Gentle Daily Moisturizer- My sister went to an Arbonne party and got me the shampoo and conditioner (which I loved), and then I decided to have her get me the face moisturizer as well.  It is AMAZING!  So gentle, no real smell, and works!  It doesn't make me break out or start itching, and makes my dry, winter skin much more manageable.
~Burt's Bees Pink Grapefruit Facial Cleansing Towelettes-  I used these a lot when I was in the ICU.  They take off make-up, smell great, and really make you feel refreshed.  Also great for traveling!

 ~Tresemme Botanique Shampoo-  I think aside from deodorant, shampoo has been the hardest thing for me to find.  I tried several that just felt like they stayed in my hair forever, making it like a weighed-down rag.  I wanted something that worked, yet still didn't have all that icky stuff that makes me itch.  This particular kind of product is still in the trial and error stage, but so far, this is the only thing that I've found that still makes my hair look nice.
~OGX Coconut Oil Hydrating Weightless Oil Mist and Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum-  These smell AMAZING, and don't have any PG in them.  I use the serum on the ends of my hair and spray on the mist to the rest of my hair.  I love them!  (But a lot of other OGX products have propylene glycol or similar substances in them).
~Eco Tools Hair Brush-  I just got this off of Amazon and so far am loving it.  I have SUPER thick hair, and this seems to do the trick of taming it down!

 ~Tarte Eyeliner, Mascara, Amazonian Clay Blush, & Creaseless Concealer- I LOVE Tarte products.  They are not all-natural, but formulated without a lot of the icky stuff in them that would irritate my eyes and skin.  Seriously, the mascara is amazing!
~Bare Minerals All-Over Face Color-  I put a little dusting of this on my cheek bones after I do my foundation and blush, and it really looks brightened and finished.  It's like a bronzer and highlighter in one.  Definitely one of my favorite products!
~Smith's Strawberry Lip Balm and Mocha Rose Lip Balm-  I've always been a big fan of Smith's products.  They don't have a lot of junk in them, and smell lovely while having that "vintage" appeal to the packaging.  I also love supporting long-ago established companies in the USA.
~Eco Tools Make-Up Brushes-  Just like the hairbrush, I've been pleasantly surprised with these brushes!


Does anyone else use all-natural make-up or have similar allergies?  Any product suggestions?  I'm definitely interested in hearing suggestions as I make the slow transition over to all-natural or mostly-natural products?  I'd love to try them!

Cheers,
Kerri

1 comment:

  1. hellooo on the thick hair! I have that too and that brush looks perfect. I love the square shape. I just got mine cut, and I really want to be good about keeping my hair healthy (i.e. not fried!).

    Arbonne parties are SO fun! My mom had one a while ago, a few years back. I got their BB cream and these makeup removing pads, called Genius Pads. I love their line. good stuff! You are all set in the beauty department :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments!