Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Dream Binder






"To make a great dream come true, the first requirement is a great capacity to dream; the second is persistence - a faith in the dream."  -Hans Selye, MD


It happened several years ago.  I was in the midst of a nightmare.  A real-life nightmare.  Life was on hold.  It was a time when I was unsure if my life would consist of hospital beds and medications or the future I so badly wanted.  But in a way, it was also the most magical time of my life.  Because in the midst of the nightmare, I was always dreaming.  At that time, I started reading every medically-based book I could get my hands on, and I bought a binder... the binder in the pictures above, and designed a cover, spine cover, and back side with my scrapbook papers and embellishments.  Then I printed a label with my name and the dream I was striving for.

I started to fill it with applications, information, courses, transcripts, recommendation letters, business cards, projects, and just about everything you could think of.  Through grad school, residency, and now about to start my staff position, it is full of CME info, resumes, and many of the things I have collected through the process.

Every time I look at the binder, it brings me back to the time of life when I just started dreaming.  And it makes me smile.

Do you have dreams you're striving for?  Dreams maybe you haven't even admitted to yet?  Start a binder.  Fill it.  And watch it grow.  Pray about it.  And start working.  You'll be amazed at what can come of it!

Kerri


2 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring!! Perseverance and courage - sounds like you embody those very things! I love the idea of a "dream binder" and having a tangible hold of your aspirations. What a great idea :)

    Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again on graduating! We need to catch up. Are you still on Instagram? I love going on EM conference trips. I've been to some fun ones. We should definitely meet up sometime!

    xo
    Heather
    Partial to Pink

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments!